You know what doesn’t work with email?
Sending a duplicate of the email you sent yesterday, with a “Fw” in the subject.
One Gooroo I know does it all the time. He thinks he’s so clever.
If the email was gay yesterday, it’s still gonna be gay today. Nothing’s changed.
I’ve got another dumbass who shows up in my inbox whenever there’s some Frauduct being launched. She puts tildes in her Email-From-Name like this: ~ Dumb Gooroo Girl ~
Apparently she thinks this will make her name stand out in my inbox and increase her open rates.
Hey, look I fell for it once.
But her emails were stupid and I had no interest in opening them again.
In fact, people who use these try-hard email open tactics HURT themselves.
For one, now it’s really easy to NOT accidentally open their messages.
And I am so disgusted by what is written in their messages that I literally cannot get myself to open them just to find the unsubscribe link. I ignore the emails because it’s easier.
That’s how harmful these tactics are.
There’s a number of other stupid email tricks like these:
– Personalizing your email subjects with “hey [name], blah blah” subjects
– Disguising your emails as personal correspondence (hey I was the master of this. People would find me at conferences and go OMG dude I keep thinking you’re writing a personal message to me – that’s clever. No it’s not. It’s bad for business is what it is).
– Adding symbols to the start of your subject line to indent the email in people’s inbox and stand out
– Using Title Case For Your Email Subjects So They Stand Out
– Using “Bad News”, “Good News”, and other cliché subjects that supposedly get high open rate
I’m not saying these tricks won’t get your emails opened.
But they will work only ONE time.
The element of surprise is the only thing they depend on.
Any more than once and your subscribers will learn this:
“oh they just REALLY want me to open this email. It’s probably another of their disgusting sales pitches.”
And they won’t be wrong.
So if you’ve already tainted your subscribers with stupid email tricks like this – you probably have a WHOLE BUNCH of people on your list who want to unsubscribe but are preferring to ignore you instead.
And nothing on this planet you do is going to change their minds about you and get them to open future emails.
There’s only one solution when you’ve trained your list to hate you…
Grow your mailing list.
We’re here to help you do it. I’m the industry’s top LIST-BUILDER and when you have me on your side, your landing pages will suck the leads out of your traffic – right from the moment you hit go.
When the Gooroos need leads fast, they come bug me about it. Even though I make fun of them and their “Frauducts”.
So why not get a campaign built by us?
Let us help you get some fresh blood on your mailing list. And you’ll never need to use these try-hard email open tactics again.